A miniature of Michelangelo`s David.
A masterpiece of Renaissance sculpture, created between 1501 and 1504, by the Italian artist Michelangelo.
The statue represents the biblical hero David, Originally commissioned as one of a series of statues of prophets to be positioned along the roofline of the east end of the Florence cathedral, the statue was instead placed in a public square, outside the Palazzo della signoria, where it was unveiled on 8 September 1504.
Because of the nature of the hero that it represented, it soon came to symbolise the defence of civil liberties embodied in the Florentine republic, an independent city state, threatened on all sides by more powerful rival states and by the hegemony of the Medici family.
The eyes of David, with a warning glare, were turned towards Rome.
The statue was moved to the Academia gallery in Florence in 1873, and later replaced at the original location by a replica.
20 cm tall