The wounded Gaul, after the antique statue.
The original marble sculpture is a Roman copy of the bronze statue, commissioned in 220 BC by Attalos 1st, of Pergamon, to honour his victory over the Galatians.
It was rediscovered in the 16th century, during excavations at the Villa Ludovisi, and was restored by Michelangelo, it was first recorded in 1623 in the collection of the powerful Ludovisi family of
In 1797 the original was looted, and taken to
The Dying Gaul original sculpture has been copied throughout the 17th and 18th centuries and excellent marble versions are on display at Versailles, Paris, Rousham house, Oxfordshire, and Walton house in Wiltshire.
32 cm tall
56 cm long
27 cm wide